Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Richards

So far this is my favorite essay we have read for this class. I could relate to the relationship between the granddaughter and the grandmother. I was very close to my grandmother as well and we shared a similar relationship. One thing i noticed while reading this was the how Richards showed over time how their relationship changed. At the beginning the grandmother was portrayed as strong and self sufficient, however over the course of the essay this changed. Richards started taking care of her grandmother almost comparing the relationship to a mother with her baby. By using the baby moniter and the cracking and humming, Richards shows how dependent the grandmother is to her. One question i had was how the Father died? I read this over twice and still couldn't find a definite answer. It mention the grandmother in a dream looking for his mangled body in the grass and this led me to believe he died in a violent way. The actual fishing story was touching. I loved the way it was described. It showed the love between the grandmother and the grandfather which explained how deeply she must of missed him. Because they didnt say more than 10 words to each other during the trip and It is her favorite memory of her late husband shows true love.

No comments: