Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Understanding Comics

The first four chapters were repetitive, long and boring read. I had to force myself to finish the reading. Some parts intrigued me. I liked on page 26 how he showed how what you would normally call somthing, really isnt true. For example he said "this is not a car" next to a picture of a car. For me at first this was hard to grasp in the previous pages, therefore this example of his repetition actually helped me understand this concept. His ideas made me think outside of my normal everyday way of thinking wich i liked. In a way it reminded me of my philosofy class. However at some points in the book it was overdone and annoyed me. I liked chapter three the best because I actually had similar thoughts when I was a kid. At the beggingin of the chapter, he says " When i was very young i had a recurrent daydream that the whole world was just a show put on for my benefit, that unless i was present to see things they just ...ceased to exist." He goes onto explain we as humans rely on trust. He says I have never been to tyland but i TRUST that it is there, I have never been in outter space but I trust that the world is flat. I thought this idea was interesting.

No comments: